Voice of Lango

17 year old boy shocked by loose electricity cables

3 March 2023, 8:34 pm

Fallen electricity pole, web photos

By Denish Ongora (denish.ongora@vol.co.ug) 

A 17 year old boy is nursing injuries he sustained after being shocked by electricity cables from a fallen pole in Amac town council, Lira district.

Locals of Amac Town council have expressed worry over this electricity pole which fell five months ago and has put them at risk of being electrocuted.

Opio Shadrack was shocked by electricity as he tried to rescue a cow that he was grazing which had gotten stuck in between electricity cables.

Opio was rushed to the hospital for treatment while the cow was electrocuted to death.

Opio Patrick the owner of the electrocuted cow and grandfather to Opio said he wants power distributor UMEME to compensate him since they failed to rectify this electricity pole.

Opio on incident

The LC1 chairman of Barilwa cell, Amach town council, Alfred Okwir said since August last year he had been asking relevant authorities to have the pole replaced in vain.

Staffs of UMEME visited the scene and promised to repair the fallen electricity pole, according to Tony Omongi Ogwang, one of the area councilors.

UMEME Lira, Branch manager, Stephen Epilu said he had not yet received information on the matter but promised to follow it up for redress.


Epilu on incident